Railway Training Institute has a rich history as being one of the oldest training institutions in the East African region dating back to the colonial era. The institute was set up to meet the increasing demand for skilled workforce required to manage the East African railways and harbours. On June 29, 1956, Fredrick Crowford, Deputy Governor of Kenya unveiled the plaque to inaugurate the institute as a centre for developing human resources for the East African Railways. Upon dissolution of the then East African Railways and harbours in 1976 the institute became under full ownership of the Kenya Railways Corporation and focused exclusively on railway courses as a means of meeting the technical skills required to manage the Kenya railways systems in the country. However, upon an extensive feasibility study in the year 1988, a decision was arrived that the capacity of the institute was grossly under-utilized. It was then that the institute launched commercial courses in Engineering, Business Management, and Hospitality. These elaborate efforts at expansion earned the institute recognition from the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology. Progressive improvement in academic performance and demand for quality training has led the institution to further diversify its academic courses to include Marine Courses and revamped rail curricular.
The Institution is a member of Kenya Technical Institutions Sports Association (KETISA) and has been ranked among the top five which reinforces the college's commitment to training well-rounded individuals through the provision of a variety of sports and Games to develop and expose talents among our students.
To become a world-class training centre committed to professional excellence.
To provide practical and quality training in Transport and logistics responsive to a dynamic market environment through Research and Technology.
- Professionalism: We seek high standards of management, service delivery and professionalism to ensure efficient, effective and high-quality standard services.
- Innovation: Continually adapt, evolve and change to improve our courses, methodology, and technology in order to be at the forefront of education and training.
- Customer Focus: We are continuously committed to achieving the highest level of customer satisfaction through the improvement of our services, innovation, and technology.
- Integrity: Adhere to the highest standards of accountability, transparency, and diligence in all our professional and personal obligations and responsibilities to our students, staff and other stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Foster a work environment of team building, shared skills, openness and honest communication.
- Respect: We hold every person, customer and visitors with high esteem no matter the gender, ability or disability, religion, political race, creed they may belong too. We conduct our duty with great humility. Excellence
- Provision of education and training for the Transport and Logistics sector
- Provision of Human Resource training for the Kenya Railways
- Provision of Education and training for the Rail sector
- Provision of Technical, Vocational, Management, and Business related education and training
- Provision of Research and Consultancy for the industry
The management of the Institute rests with a Board of Governors which consists of 11 members appointed due to the Institutions they represent, to cater to the needs of various stakeholders. The BOG reports to the KRC Board through the Corporations Managing Director.
The Board of Governors
The composition of the Board is prescribed in the Education Act Cap 211 and consists of the following:
- Chairman of BOG - (Appointed by MD KRC)
- General Manager -Business - KRC
- H/Resources & Admin Manager - KRC
- Permanent Secretary - Ministry of Transport (MOT)
- Director - Kenya Institute of Education (KIE)
- Permanent Secretary - Ministry of State for Public Service
- Executive Director - Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM)
- Director - Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT)
- Managing Director - Rift Valley Railways (RVR)
- Executive Director - Federation of Kenya Employer (FKE)
- Director - Railway Training Institute (RTI) Secretary)